AGA KHAN FOUNDATION (INDIA)
Programme Officer (Low Carbon Agriculture Programme)
Senior Programme Officer (Agriculture and Food Security)
Full Time Contractual Employment upto November 2023
About the Aga Khan Foundation (India)
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) brings together human, financial and technical resources to address some of the challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalized communities in the world. Special emphasis is placed on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. The Foundation primarily works across six thematic areas – agriculture and food security, economic inclusion, education, early childhood development, health and nutrition, and the strengthening of community institutions to lead development interventions. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of 11 development agencies addressing the needs of poor and marginalized communities in more than thirty countries where it operates.
AKF started its operations in India in 1978, and today implements programs in both rural and urban areas across six states (Bihar, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh and Delhi).
In partnership with the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), AKF has initiated an innovative pilot programme to promote the adoption of low carbon agriculture practices by smallholder farmers in three agroecological zones in the states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The three-year pilot initiative aims at establishing proof of concept that low carbon farming systems can enable the agriculture sector to become a net carbon sink, while at the same time enabling a shift to improved nutrition outcomes and reduced gender inequalities. Key programme interventions include the creation and strengthening of community institutions to enable the adoption of sustainable farming practices, promoting water use efficiency for a range of crops in target geographies, soil and water conservation, regeneration of common lands, promoting agro-forestry and farm forestry, reducing GHG emissions from livestock through the adoption of ration balancing, scaling-up the use of renewable energy, particularly for crop irrigation, and diversifying incomes for smallholder farmers through the development of sustainable enterprises (eg bio-pesticide manufacture, bee-keeping etc.). The programme also seeks to engage actively with the market to expand demand for low carbon agriculture products, contributing directly to increased incomes for smallholder farmers, and track and document emerging learning for policy dialogue. The empowerment of women farmers, and initiatives to strengthen agriculture-nutrition linkages through crop diversification are other key objectives. AKF will lead implementation in Uttar Pradesh and will work closely with other implementing partners in the selected geographies in Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
AKF is seeking to recruit an ambitious, energetic and hard-working Programme Officer to lead this innovative initiative, working in collaboration with other implementing and technical support partners, and providing strategic support and guidance to AKF’s implementation team in Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh.
Coordination and Programme Management:
- Facilitate the development of annual work-plans and budgets covering the key components of the programme. Ensure the alignment of key deliverables across programme geographies.
- In coordination with state teams ensure the placement and induction of a high performing project team on the ground.
- Undertake regular field visits to monitor project progress, ensure implementation quality and provide support to field teams in devising course corrections.
- Ensure that field implementation is in line with approved strategies and implementation approaches.
- Support the development of M&E systems and track implementation progress regularly
- Coordinate with the Finance team for budget monitoring and grant disbursements
- Ensure timely and effective utilization of funds
- Ensure compliance on deliverables and budgets, drive non-negotiables across the programme
- Be fully responsible for the submission of donor progress reports, both technical and financial
- Assist in the timely execution of grant management procedures, in conformity with AKF and donor agency guidelines
- Provide guidance and strategic direction to the field team for the effective implementation of programme activities across the three key outcome areas of on-ground implementation, expanding market demand and tracking evidence for policy dialogue and advocacy.
- Work closely with technical support partners (eg Foundation for Ecological Security, National Coalition of Natural Farming, Vertiver and others) to design programme interventions and ensure quality implementation
- Support the development of a robust Monitoring and Evaluation system, including the conduct of a baseline evaluation.
- Lead the design of an MIS system to track key programme outputs including those related to GHG emissions, soil health, crop productivity, household incomes, nutrition and diet diversity, and womens empowerment.
- Design and lead processes to ensure the strengthening of community institutions (Self Help Groups, Farmer Producer Companies) to scale-up the adoption of low carbon agriculture practices, and access more remunerative markets for LCA produce.
- Be updated on innovations and best practices related to low carbon agriculture, and facilitate the adoption of best practices across programme areas
Advocacy and Partner Engagement
- Closely track and document emerging learning from programme implementation and identify stakeholder platforms for policy dialogue for low carbon agriculture.
- Facilitate cross-learning between implementation teams and geographies.
- Coordinate with technical and implementing partners and other stakeholders, amplifying common learning and outcomes and leveraging these for policy dialogue and advocacy for Low Carbon Agriculture (LCA).
- Amplify programme results at district, state and national levels to advocate for increased policy support and budgetary allocation for low carbon sustainable agriculture.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Postgraduate qualifications in agriculture/ forestry/ rural management/ social development is required. Additional technical qualifications in sustainable agriculture, organic farming, sustainable development, climate change or related fields is desirable.
- Minimum seven years of relevant professional experience in the implementation and/ or management of sustainable agriculture/ natural resource management programs at state or national level. Experience of implementing sustainable agriculture programs in the context of climate change and reducing carbon emissions from agriculture would be an added advantage.
- Conversant with emerging trends, technologies and best practices related to sustainable farming, natural resource management and LCA.
- Ability to design monitoring and evaluation frameworks for sustainable farming/ NRM programmes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Hindi
- Analytical, articulate and well versed with the subject to communicate effectively with a wider audience.
- Good data analysis and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in MS office is essential and working knowledge of other statistical software like R, SPSS, Stata, is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills – needs to work in horizontal, cross-functional teams across departments and institutions.
- Ambitious, energetic, and hard-working professional committed to improving lives among India’s most marginalized communities. Must share a sense of urgency about development.
- Willingness to travel extensively in the programme areas, providing strategic and handholding support to the field teams
Please submit your updated CV
, accompanied by a cover letter
stating the reasons for your interest in the position to AKF (India) at the following email address: [email protected]
Please reference the following in the subject line of the email: “Application for Programme Officer – Low
Carbon Agriculture Programme’’.
The Aga Khan Development Network is an international group of private, non-denominational development agencies and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, often in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities. Visit us at www.akdn.org
The Aga Khan Foundation is committed to the principles of equal opportunity and will strive to ensure that all job applicants, staff and volunteers, do not suffer negative discrimination on the basis of their religion, race, caste, color, nationality, social class, sex, place of birth, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, HIV status, age etc. or any combination of these.