Terms of Reference (TOR)
Consultant – Restoration and Forest Markets Specialist
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: A PIONEER IN CONSERVATION LEADERSHIP
This is an exciting time at The Nature Conservancy (TNC) as we are shifting our strategy for greater impact in the world—seeking to address some of the most complex challenges facing people and nature—issues such as climate change, conserving lands, water’s, and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more resilient and sustainable.
Our Mission: The Nature Conservancy, a global non-profit organization with a million members, is dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends.
Our Vision: A world where the diversity of life thrives, and people act to conserve nature for its own sake and its ability to fulfil our needs and enrich our lives.
The Conservancy Team:
We achieve this through the dedicated efforts of our 3,800 diverse staff
, including more than 600 scientists
, all of whom support conservation more than 79 countries and territories, and all 50 United States. We are striving to develop a workforce as diverse as the places where we work, and we have a deep commitment to diversity.
Our Work in India:
TNC is registered in India as a not-for-profit Section 8 Company. It has been advancing projects to support India’s efforts to develop win-win solutions for people and nature. We work closely with the Indian government, research institutions, NGOs, private sector organizations and local communities to develop science-based, on-the-ground, scalable solutions for securing food, water, and clean air. We are committed to working with partners to advance pragmatic and scalable solutions (please visit www.tncindia.in/
to learn more).
I. CONSULTANT ROLE
The TOR offers an opportunity for an experienced professional to be engaged as Consultant – Restoration and Forest Markets Specialist to provide technical and programmatic management support to markets-related work on a landscape restoration and agroforestry initiative in Central India. This consultant will report to the Project Manager and work in close collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team working on this project.
The project will introduce innovative restoration and agroforestry techniques. The consultant will coordinate with a wide variety of stakeholders, prepare technical work products, and contribute to the overall project strategy. The consultant will be a key member of the team, contributing significantly to the project technically and in managing stakeholder relationships, esp. relevant for the forest markets component. This position is based out in New Delhi & is for a tenure of 1 year.
II. SPECIFIC DELIVERABLES
The consultant will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Responsible for the strategic and technical inputs for the forest markets component of the project, focusing on market linkages and value chains for conservation strategies such as non-timber forest products, agroforestry, and/or other restoration approaches with co-benefits.
- Works closely with the project team and partners on market-related issues and supports field-based staff. Effectively engages with relevant market-related stakeholders.
- Contributes to a key component of the project, including execution of the approved annual work plan with a wide range of partners.
- Contributes to technical reporting related to the forest markets component of the project.
- Provides technical inputs to the Project Manager on issues related to forest markets, especially value chains, and identifies key strategies and suggests an implementation plan.
- Builds on current markets-related work to design and then executes a strategy for effective market-linkages for non-timber forest products, bamboo, and various other agroforestry products. The market strategies should advance landscape restoration and agroforestry with local communities and other key stakeholders.
- Organizes workshops and roundtables to advance project goals.
- Writes technical reports and other communications materials to advance project deliverables.
- Conducts site visits in coordination with partners and field team members.
- Frequently identifies and builds consensus for strategic decisions based on analysis, ambiguous information, and context.
- Assists the project team in negotiating complex agreements in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- The consultant profile may require frequent domestic travel.
III. CONSULTANT PROFILE
The proposer should be a qualified consultant who can deliver on the proposed assignment. Given below is the essential qualification, experience, skills, and competencies of the consultant that should be demonstrated in the proposal response:
- Master’s degree in conservation, forestry, environment, resource management, or related field.
- Minimum 7 years’ related experience in conservation practice, forestry and/or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with the forestry sector and strong network; ability to partner with wide range of stakeholders.
- Direct experience of working on conservation and/or forest restoration issues, esp. working with communities.
- Good understanding of agroforestry models, including fruit-tree based models such as WADI.
- Good understanding of the international context for forest products’ markets.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in forest restoration, agroforestry, native species plantations, value chains, non-timber forest products, and other relevant discipline(s).
- Demonstrated experience of influencing, developing, and implementing conservation and/or forestry projects and plans.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary diverse teams.
- Experience of designing, managing, and executing field projects in coordination with multiple partners and/or consultants.
- Experience of cultivating and managing partner and/or stakeholder relationships.
- Experience of working with forest departments and other government agencies.
- Familiarity with grassroots challenges and conservation/restoration practices in Central India.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation.
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated, preferably with proficiency in English and Hindi.
- Demonstrated competence in both technical and non-technical writing skills.
- Expertise in common computer applications such as MS Office.
IV. How to Apply :
To apply for this consultancy:
- Please submit your resume along with a mandatory Suitability Note of 1-1.5-pages on how your related qualification and experience match with the advertised position.
- Provide your current & expected (daily or monthly) consultancy fee in the mail body & required Notice Period to join, at [email protected].
Last Date of Application: On or before 9th March 2021.
NOTE: Resume & Suitability Note are mandatory. Non receipt of either of the two will lead to non-consideration of your application.