Livestock Coordinator – Low Carbon Agriculture Programme – Aga Khan Foundation (India), Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh (28 Feb 2021)by Madan Mohan
Category : Agricultural Jobs
AGA KHAN FOUNDATION (INDIA)
Livestock Coordinator – Low carbon agriculture programme
Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh
Programme Officer (Agriculture, Food Security and Economic Inclusion)
2 Years employment contract
About the Aga Khan Foundation (India)
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) brings together human, financial and technical resources to address some of the challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalized communities in the world. Special emphasis is placed on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. The Foundation primarily works across six thematic areas – agriculture and food security, economic inclusion, education, early childhood development, health and nutrition, and the strengthening of community institutions to lead development interventions. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of 11 development agencies addressing the needs of poor and marginalized communities in more than thirty countries where it operates.
AKF started its operations in India in 1978, and today implements programs in both rural and urban areas across six states (Bihar, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh and Delhi).
In partnership with the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), AKF has initiated an innovative pilot programme to promote the adoption of low carbon agriculture practices by smallholder farmers in three agro-ecological zones in the states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The three-year pilot initiative aims at establishing proof of concept that low carbon farming systems can enable the agriculture sector to become a net carbon sink, while at the same time enabling a shift to improved nutrition outcomes and reduced gender inequalities. Key programme interventions include the creation and strengthening of community institutions to enable the adoption of sustainable farming practices, promoting water use efficiency for a range of crops in target geographies, soil and water conservation, regeneration of common lands, promoting agro-forestry and farm forestry, reducing GHG emissions from livestock through the adoption of ration balancing, scaling-up the use of renewable energy, particularly for crop irrigation, and diversifying incomes for smallholder farmers through the development of sustainable enterprises (eg bio-pesticide manufacture, bee-keeping etc.). The programme also seeks to engage actively with the market to expand demand for low carbon agriculture products, contributing directly to increased incomes for smallholder farmers, and track and document emerging learning for policy dialogue. The empowerment of women farmers, and initiatives to strengthen agriculture-nutrition linkages through crop diversification are other key objectives. AKF will lead implementation in Uttar Pradesh and will work closely with other implementing partners in the selected geographies in Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
AKF is seeking to recruit an ambitious, energetic and hard-working Coordinator to lead the livestock and animal husbandry improvement interventions in the programme, and in particular implement ration balancing interventions to reduce carbon emissions from livestock rearing.
The Livestock Coordinator – Low Carbon Agriculture programme will lead the livestock related interventions in 60 villages of Risia and Chittaura blocks in district Bahraich, including the promotion of bee keeping activities to diversify incomes and increase crop yields, and promote ration balancing to reduce GHG emissions from livestock.The position will report to the Programme Officer (Agriculture, Food Security and Economic Inclusion), Uttar Pradesh and will work under the overall leadership and guidance of the State Programme Manager.
- Support the Block Managers, field supervisors and community-based paraworkers in the Chittaura and Risia blocks of district Bahraich to enhance knowledge on sustainable livestock rearing activities for quality implementation, assessing impact on target beneficiaries, and facilitating collaboration and convergence with government programmes and other stakeholders in the selectedgeographies.
- Provide technical inputs to the project team and community for improved livestock management and facilitate linkages with the district veterinary department along with building sustainable community institutions.
- Working in close collaboration with Block Coordinators and field supervisors, identify community-based women animal health workers (pashu sakhis) and develop and deliver a training curriculum to build their knowledge and capacity to deliver preventive health care services to livestock, emerging as entrepreneurs at the village level. In particular, build the knowledge and understanding of correct feeding practices to reduce livestock carbon emissions.
- Design and implement a sustainable information dissemination process to ensure wide dissemination and adoption of ration balancing, working with the pashu sakhi cadre.
- Facilitate private sector/ cooperative milk union linkages for the sustainable supply of Total Mixed Ration (TMR) for effective implementation of the ration balancing programme through the entrepreneurial cadre of pashu sakhis.
- Support the regular tracking of GHG emissions with technical advice and guidance from the programme technical partner.
- Contribute to building an understanding of bee-keeping for income diversification for smallholder farming households and for increased pollination of crops, increasing crop yields. Support the implementation of bee-keeping activities and honey production, learning from existing best practices.
- Explore market potential and consumer demand for low carbon livestock products (milk, honey) at the district and state levels. Working in collaboration with the Marketing Coordinator, build the value chain for milk, honey and other livestock products.
- Support the development of implementation plans to increase the use of farm-yard manure in agriculture, eliminating the use of chemical fertilisers.
- Be updated on innovations and best practices related to low carbon livestock rearing and facilitate their adoption across programme areas.
- Mobilise/ extend the required support to the block implementation team for timely and quality implementation of low carbon livestock activities.
- Engage with livestock rearing communities and women’s SHGs and help them in increasing their income through sustainable animal husbandry and manufacture of value-added products.
- Build and maintain partnerships with relevant government departments, NGOs, women’s SHGs, Gram Panchayats and other community organisations and stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with state level regulations and facilitate community access to existing subsidy and entitlements for livestock rearing.
- Support the Programme Officer in project planning, implementation, operations, monitoring and evaluation, documentation and reporting at the Bahraich office: plan timeline and milestones, ensure deliverables.
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Programme Officer Agriculture & Food Security and State Programme Manager.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Post-Graduate/Graduate in Veterinary Sciences or related fields.
- Minimum 3 years of experience of working in livestock development sector with focus on sustainable practices with small and marginal farmers. Experience of institution building of smallholder livestock rearers will be an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of animal husbandry and basic veterinary sciences.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge on climate change issues in livestock sectors
- Experience of community managed livestock development with particular focus on feed improvement in dairy animals for reduced carbon emissions.
- Highly motivated, result oriented and organized; strategic thinker with strong organizational and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Hindi.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams across departments and institutions; needs to be comfortable dealing with ambiguity, as well as situational authority and leadership.
- Solution-oriented, creative problem-solver, who can be versatile and is willing to work around obstacles.
- An ability to lead and work in teams and set an example for high quality work is essential. Must be willing to work independently and to multi-task.
- Strong team spirit and commitment to the environmental and social mission which drives AKF.
- Must share a sense of urgency about development and be committed to improving lives among India’s most marginalized communities.
Please submit your updated CV, accompanied by a cover letter (200 words) stating the reasons for your interest and suitability for the position by 28th February, 2021 through the following link:
The Aga Khan Development Network is an international group of private, non-denominational development agencies and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, often in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities. Visit us at www.akdn.org
The Aga Khan Foundation is committed to the principles of equal opportunity and will strive to ensure that all job applicants, staff and volunteers, do not suffer negative discrimination on the basis of their religion, race, caste, color, nationality, social class, sex, place of birth, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, HIV status, age etc. or any combination of these.
Comments are closed.